Barbados Comes to Atlanta 2016 is an exciting Business, Tourism and Cultural exchange project that will market Barbados to the very sophisticated, burgeoning city of Atlanta and the rapidly developing market of the Southeastern United States.
WHY SHOULD BARBADOS TARGET ATLANTA AND THE SOUTHEAST?
50 percent of the world’s business was recently transacted in Atlanta at the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) meetings. If you had visited Atlanta during weekend of September 5, 2015, you would have found a vibrant city with standing room only. Almost a million visitors were in in the City on that weekend and there were few hotel rooms available within miles of the central city. The fact is, Atlanta is a now major global player in Trade and Industry and Barbados needs to have a strong presence in this market.
A quick look at some Atlanta’s statistics will help you appreciate why this vibrant city is now billed
as the Center of the New South.
- Busiest airport complex in the world: Atlanta’s beautiful and efficient Hartsfield-Jackson Domestic and International Airports represent the busiest airport complex in the world with direct connections to most of the major cities in the world, including Bridgetown, Barbados.
- Busiest Ocean Transportation port in the US: the Port of Savannah, GA is the
Busiest Single Terminal Facility in North America. The Port of Savannah is also the
second busiest US Container exporter, second only to the Port of Los Angeles, California.
- Atlanta is home to 16 Fortune 500 companies: these include the giant logistics
company United Parcel Service (UPS), The Coca Cola Company, Delta Airlines, the Home Depot, The Southern Company and Mercedes Benz.
- World headquarters of CNN: Atlanta is the World headquarters of CNN, one of the most important global news organizations.
- World Headquarters of major global players: successful global companies understand the importance of logistics and Atlanta is home to the logistics giant United Parcel Service (UPS). Atlanta is also the World Headquarters of the world renowned US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Coca Cola Company, to name a few.
- Atlanta is a global center for Health Information Technology: Anchored by the
massive research headquarters of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3 world- class Medical Schools, and the technology prowess of the Georgia Institute of Technology, the Atlanta metro Atlanta area has become one of the most important global centers of Health Information Technology (Health IT), a rapidly expanding field
- Home to top tier Recording Artists, Film and Movie production: Atlanta is home to some of the most famous recording studios in the United States. Georgia is now the 3rd most important state in the US for film and movie production
- Leaders in Alternative Energy: Georgia Tech and Georgia Power are leaders in
research in the fields of Clean Energy and Alternative Energy, including Solar Energy and Wind energy. These areas are vital to the 21st century development of Barbados
- Atlanta is home to the Center for Civil Rights and Human Rights: visit the world famous Martin Luther King Center, visit the birthplace of Martin Luther King and walk in the footsteps of the great freedom fighters. These and other world famous centers, including The Civil Rights Walk of Fame and the Jimmy Carter Center for Civil and Human Rights are all located within the city of Atlanta.
WHAT IS OUR GOAL?
The Goal of BCTA 2016 is to match the resources of the burgeoning global city of Atlanta/ SE with the market potential of Barbados, a stable democracy with a sound infrastructure and an economy in search of new sources of growth. Our objective is to create business partnerships in key areas that can assist Barbados in achieving sustainable development in the 21st century and beyond.
We are marketing Barbados as the only “developed” island destination in the hemisphere (United Nations classification) that currently provides:
- A safe, preferred recreational destination
- A stable, transparent environment for Business and investment.
- Immediate opportunities to establish collaborative ventures with Businesses partners in Atlanta and the southeast.
- A destination for heritage and faith-based tourism (Atlanta is already a leader in this area)
- A stellar example of good governance in hemisphere
- An Educational business partner with a long tradition of educational excellence. Our goal is to develop collaborative ventures in the areas of Education, Healthcare, Science and Technology with the excellent Educational institutions in Atlanta:
- Emory University
- the Atlanta University Center complex, including Morehouse College, Morehouse Medical School, Spelman College
- Georgia Institute of Technology and Kennesaw State University
- University of Georgia
- Georgia State University
OUR STRATEGY is to harness the skills of the outstanding Business Schools in the Atlanta area to assist Barbados in finding and matching Business partners. Atlanta are schools include:
- Goizueta Business School at Emory University
- Scheller School of Business at Georgia Institute of Technology
- Terry School of Business at University of Georgia
- Robinson School of Business at Georgia State University
STARTING TO GET THE PICTURE?
A preview reception focused on investment opportunities is to be held April 21 at the law offices of Thompson Hine LLP in Buckhead. For more information or to register, click here.
For more information on the Barbados Comes to Atlanta events, visit www.BarbadosComesTo.org; to register, CLICK HERE.
RCS Sidebar: Please take note that Barbados Prime Minister Freundel Stuart will be in Atlanta and participating in the Barbados Comes to Atlanta events!